No particular mention of roads though there
is reference to daily communication with Edinburgh and
a large trade in limestone. There was an old monastery
here in Anglo-Saxon times.
NSA - page 31
South Queensferry and Linlithgow are the nearest
market and post towns. The turnpike from Queensferry
to Linlithgow passes through; other roads are statute
labour. Roads and bridges are in good condition. Coal
is used as fuel.
Walter, High Steward of Scotland, lived here
in the 1300's. His dwelling was in a morass and had
several causeways leading to it. There is a turnpike
from the ironworks at Cleugh to Bo'ness and a branch
from the Edinburgh to Glasgow road via Whitburn. The
roads are good despite the number of coal and lime carts
on them. The statute labour is mostly in kind at the
discretion of the overseer. Where commuted the rate
is 12/- per ploughgate. The streets in Bathgate are
very bad despite the amount paid by the village towards
NSA - pages
162 and 168
There is a weekly grain market and a post office. Roads
and bridges are in good condition. The Bo'ness to Lanark
turnpike and the middle road between Edinburgh and Glasgow
pass through. Before the railway there used to be some
12 to 18 coaches on this road, now all have ceased to
operate. There are seven fairs each year for cattle
and horses. The fuel used is coal. Much milk and butter
is sent to Edinburgh and Airdrie each week. Prior to
the building of the middle road between Glasgow and
Edinburgh there was no direct road between east and
west, just very poor parish roads.
Considerable trade is carried on through the port. There
are two public roads: Bo'ness to Linlithgow and Cleugh
Ironworks road and one by the waterside going to Falkirk
and Queensferry. There are several crossroads.
Roman remains - page 128
The Antonine Wall runs through the parish and remains
of the military road that ran south of the wall have
been found recently near Inneravon and just east of
Stone on Kinneil Muir - page 130
At Kinneil Muir, on the former road between Linlithgow
and Falkirk, there was a very large stone (7x5x3 feet)
with a cross in its centre. As it affected the ploughing
it was blown up.
Port - page 139
The port here is considerable. It developed from the
mid 1600's due to trade with the continent. Goods were
taken to Linlithgow, Stirling, Glasgow and the west.
Post town. Annual fair. Coal has been worked here since
Canal - page 148
The fact that the Forth & Clyde canal ended at Grangemouth
put an end to the considerable trade with Glasgow which
had been carried out on pack horses and carts.
No mention of roads. There are 100 carts used in the
NSA - pages
68 and 72
The Roman Wall ended in this parish. A few years ago
remains of a causeway were dug up between Blackness
Castle and the Carriden to Walton road. The nearest
market and post town is Bo'ness. The village of Cuffabouts
was thought to have been called Causewayfoot originally.
The Linlithgow to South Queensferry turnpike passes
through and another public road is being built from
Grangemouth to Bo'ness and then by Carriden to join
the turnpike at Champany. The other roads are reasonable.
In the past considerable trade was carried out at Blackness.
Mention of the great road between Edinburgh and Linlithgow.
There are 7 carters/carriers, 2 "horse-letters", 6 chaise
drivers, 3 coaches and several chaises in the parish.
Roman road - page 103
It is very likely that a Roman road continued from Cramond
by Barnbougle and Dalmeny, through Abercorn and Carriden
to the eastward end of the Antonine Wall. Roman remains
have been found along this line.
Roads - page 106
Parish roads are excellent. The fine Great North Road
from Edinburgh enters the parish at Cramond Bridge,
built in 1821, and ends at Newhalls where boats sail
hourly to North Queensferry. The fares are thought to
be high. It is planned to run a ferry between Cramond
and Burntisland with a railway extension north of Burntisland
which could affect the ferry here. The North Mail uses
the ferry, as well as coaches to Aberdeen, Perth, Dunfermline
No mention of roads. Butter and buttermilk carried to
NSA -page 114
There is a post office in Uphall and markets in Linlithgow
and Bathgate. The Edinburgh to Falkirk and the middle
road to Glasgow run through or close to the parish.
The parish roads are excellent.
Although the parish was divided by
the River Almond into a western part under Linlithgow
shire (West Lothian) and an eastern part under Edinburghshire
(Mid Lothian), the Statistical Account deals with it
Palace and Loch
Roads are good and extensive. The burgh used to have
exclusive trading rights from near Cramond to the mouth
of the Avon - its port was Blackness. Right to levy
a toll on cattle using the bridge or crossing the Avon
elsewhere. There are two inns.
Romans - page 174
A Roman road to a camp in Bo'ness parish runs north
of the lake and seems to have been connected with the
Roads - page 183
There was a battle at Linlithgow Bridge in 1526. St
Magdalene's, east of the town, and dating from the middle
ages, was a hospitium where travellers could stay. Post
office. Seven miles of turnpike and 30 miles of parish
roads, all good. There is a weekly market and 6 annual
fairs. Coal is used as fuel.
|The old village -
Livingston is now a bustling new town of 60,000
The Edinburgh to Glasgow road passes through. The writer
discusses the strategic importance of the River Almond.
NSA - page 115
The area was used for hunting when royalty stayed at
Linlithgow. Stone from a quarry near Blackburn is sent
to places up to 30 miles away, although the quarry has
now been given up as it was encroaching on the public
road. The nearest market is Mid Calder. Coal comes from
Benbar, 4 miles away.
An account is given of the ferry Some of the roads money
could be used to improve the landing places at the ferry.
NSA - pages
2 and 9
There was a crossing point here from very early on.
It was called Freti Transitus by the Romans who about
83AD had reached as far as Loch Leven in Fife. Queen
Margaret crossed here frequently on her way to Dunfermline,
hence its name. The Great North Road is in excellent
repair as is the Edinburgh road. The latter was the
first turnpike in West Lothian, dating from 1751. There
is a post office, and coaches to Edinburgh and the north
Details are given of the statute labour assessment which
is based on the plough gate. Mention of the Cleugh turnpike
An account is given of the refuge stones, the Preceptory
having the right of sanctuary. One is in the churchyard,
the others are one mile away to the north, south, east
NSA - page
There is a pillar in the churchyard with a cross carved
on it with four other stones sited one Scots mile away
to the east, west, north and south. These stones mark
the area where refuge could be sought. They are still
in their original position. There are markets in Bathgate
and Linlithgow. The Linlithgow to Bathgate, Linlithgow
to Glasgow via Armadale and the middle road to Glasgow
pass through. The parish roads are very good. The assessment
rate is L2 per plough gate.
Dairy produce carted to Edinburgh. High roads are funded
by statute labour and subscription. The commutation
rate is 15/- per plough. Local basalt is excellent for
road making. The cost of a chain of 24 foot wide road
NSA - page
No specific mention of roads. Coal is obtained locally
and freestone is taken to Edinburgh.
See also Account
of the Parish of Uphall, by the Earl of Buchan,
Archaeologia Scotica, Vol I, 1792 (Archaeology
There are highroads from Edinburgh to Glasgow and Bo'ness
to Cleugh running through the parish. Many people make
a living by carting grain from Leith and Dalkeith to
Glasgow and returning with pig-iron.
NSA - page
No specific mention of roads.